Monday, September 13, 2010

Backpacking and Route Home

Writing about the beginning of my escape from Greece in my first part of this backpacking tale, I promised to finish telling what thereafter transpired.  So, here goes.  I had quickly paid my bill at the hostel first thing in the morning, packed my things and headed for the bus to the Athens International Airport.  Frantically, I informed them I was leaving now for Rome instead of my ticket date of the next day.  The girl at the counter rushed me through, because the plane was already loading. 

I had a window seat and watched in horror as suitcases being sent down a moving incline to the plane began bunching together.  One by one pieces of luggage began falling about 20 feet to the tarmac, then crashing open and their contents spilling out.  Luckily, I didn't see my suitcase in the mess. The conveyor belt was stopped, the pile-up of suitcases straightened out and the rest, including mine, were safely added to the plane's hold.  Within a very short time we were in the air headed for Rome. 
         
Believe me, I prayed I wouldn't have anyone sitting next to me on the flight from Rome to New York.  Once we landed in Rome and began loading the passengers who would fly with us on to New York, the seat next to me remained empty.  Thank God.  Whoops!  I sighed as I looked out my window.  All of a sudden a robust, Catholic Priest plunked down next to me with a huge smile and a handshake.  Needless to say, sitting there in my Levis and sweatshirt, with my backpack at my feet, I was not a happy camper.  After all, I was raised in the Episcopal Church.
         
It took a few minutes for Father Farrell to settle into his seat and get his belt tightened over his girth.  I began reading the in-flight magazine and he stopped to pray, I guess.  Soon the stewardess was offering earphones. I deferred, because I only had drachmas in my pocket.  Father Farrell said, "I'll pay for them, because I want to watch the movie.  You can use them to listen to music until then," and he plunked them on my tray.  The arrangement worked fine.  Next our lunch trays were brought.  Father Farrell reached back and forth between our two trays, putting meat and veggies on his and all the deserts on mine.  "There. I'm Diabetic and fat, you're young and thin,"  and that arrangement also worked just fine.  I was beginning to enjoy my flight after all. 

Before we landed we had become well acquainted.  He had been the Priest who made arrangements for Americans to meet with the Pope and was now retiring back to his New York parish.  "They say I should've been a Baptist," he said, "because I always have candy for the little ones at Sunday School."  And, just as we were getting off the plane, he added:  "You really should go see the 'Rockettes.' I certainly plan to."  We parted then, but having exchanged addresses and phone numbers kept in touch for years until he passed away.  What a wonderful friend I had found.
         
There's more of course.  In haste, the counter girl in Greece had only booked me as far as New York, although my original ticket was all the way to Los Angeles.  The next plane to LA would be the following morning providing there was a 'no show' and I had no money and nowhere to stay.  I sat on the floor next to the check-in desk.  Finally, tired of me complaining, they gave me vouchers: bus to the hotel, a single room for the night, dinner and breakfast, then a bus back to the airport.  Whew!
         
Soon after retiring, there was a knock on my door.  "Hey, let me in.  I'm the bartender and I just got off work."  I didn't even breath.  Didn't say a word.  He finally went away.  Actually, I slept well, my 'wake up call' came early, dressed, had breakfast and made it to the airport on time.  There I waited at the check-in desk for a 'no show' and that didn't happen.  "Sorry, you'll have to wait until tomorrow.  All flights are booked to LA."  I had no choice but to go into action.  "I don't have any money. No place to stay the night.  Not my fault that I wasn't booked all the way through to LA," and I said it all loudly.  "Just a minute.  Looks like we do have a 'no show' in first class.  Here's your ticket.  You can board now."

I was next to the last person to board.  I had the isle seat.  The last person was a tall man carrying a custom pool-cue case with gold letters 'JA' and he looked very wealthy.  I got up for him to sit at the window:  "Why don't you sit at the window?" he said. "I travel this route all the time. I'll sit on the isle."  I did.  He did. In a few moments we were in flight and I could see the Statue of Liberty? No, wrong side of the plane. 

'JA' was reading a script for Gun Smoke.  I wondered, who is this important person?  "Say, don't you ever go to the movies?" He looked perturbed.  "Sure," I said. He frowned, "Did you see the movie,  Poseidon  Adventure?"  "Sure."  "Well, I almost won an award for playing Shelly Winter's husband."  About that time, a very handsome man (found out he was well known on the horse-racing circuit) leaned across the isle.  "What's the matter Jack, met someone who doesn't know who you are?"  After that we were are great friends for the whole trip.

Still in my Levis, I probably looked like a 'flower child' (no one ever believed I was 40) and I mentioned I would need to borrow a coin for the payphone, because I only had drachmas and would need to get my transportation back to Claremont taken care of.  Jack Albertson reached into his pocket.  "Here's a dime for the phone call and a dollar just in case you need it.  Come see me on the stage in Odd Fellows next month." As we stepped onto the tarmac, the guy I'd met across the isle, caught up with me.  "What a cheap guy.  Here's a twenty." I said I'd pay him back. "That's a deal. I'll come take you to dinner one night."  And he did.  It was a short, but enjoyable friendship.

I did go to LA to see the stage play Odd Fellows.  Afterwards, I went back stage.  "You can't come back stage. Sorry." noted the guard at the steps.  "Just tell Jack Albertson there's a lady here with a dollar and a dime." Jack did welcome me.  I did repay him and we had a good laugh.  I might add that he was one of those rare actors who had been married for many years and was totally in love with his wife.  What a wonderful man.   What a nice coincidence, on my travels home, after my first backpacking trip to Europe.

No comments: