Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Catching a Marlin

The "Jon-Dee II" at anchor at Catalina Island
With the 'Jon-Dee II' outfitted with a pair of 'outriggers' and the distant viewing across the water substantially improved with the 'flying bridge' we were ready to try our fishing skills to bring in our first Marlin.  Now, the way that is generally accomplished is by keeping your radio tuned into the commercial fishing boats who generally mention where they see Marlin jumping.  Then you head to that particular latitude/longitude spot in the middle of the ocean, cut your engines to slow and begin criss-crossing in a pattern for generally hours on end.  During the Marlin season, if you keep a sharp eye out, you will at least see one broaching the water even if you never hook into one, which is pretty awesome.

True that 'JD' was a skinny kid when we married, but he grew into a very sturdy young man and his wavy strawberry-blond hair and hazel eyes got him into some situations that weren't the best, his good looks probably kept him in good stead with family and friends, and me of course.  But, his temper was something difficult to deal with.  He was not physical, but had a vocabulary that was a shocker to me since no one in my family ever showed such anger.  Well, this is just to set the stage for our first ever Marlin.
          
It was just 'JD' and me, a sunny day, a spiffy boat and the sea.  'JD' was in an especially good humor anticipating a first Marlin.  "Now, Jean, you run the boat according to my directions and everything will be just dandy.  I'll sit back with my heavy duty pole and fishing line.  When I hook a Marlin I'll tell you to turn 'port' or 'starboard' and you have to be quick or the Marlin could 'sound' and we'll lose it.  Don't worry if we happen to lose this first Marlin, we can always try again. It's the first day of the Marlin season."

And if you believe all that, just listen to what actually took place.  'JD' did hook into a Marlin pretty early in the day.  He began firing directions at me and I did as he said.  Too quickly he brought the Marlin to the side of the boat. "Cut the engine, grab the gaf, help me get this Marlin on board  Now!"  I knew in an instant that if I missed getting that Marlin on board I would no doubt get thrown overboard and here in the middle of the ocean who would know that I hadn't just fallen overboard?

I, of course, did exactly as 'JD' requested in a timely fashion.  Handed him the gaf.  Guess what?  The gaf went into the Marlin's side and with a fish-twist the gaf straightened out and away swam the Marlin, however still hooked on the fishing-line.  "Get that engine going and turn port. Now!"  Loudly his directives were delivered until once again he had the Marlin close to the teak swim step. "Get on the step and help me land this Marlin. Now!" Of course, I'm not using his actual language in this blog or it wouldn't appear dear reader as you may well understand.      

JD with the Marlin
Well, I had only a split second to make a decision.  I jumped over onto the swim step at the stern and as he reeled in the Marlin the top half of the fish came up along my left side. "Grab that Marlin!" he shouted.  And, that's exactly what I did.  I threw both arms around that 6' 125lb Marlin (compare to me at 5'7" 120lb) and hugged him until 'JD' could pull him on board.  That Marlin twisted and wiggled but I held on for dear life.  I knew that either the two of us would soon be on board or the two of us would be under water.  I did hold on in that precarious position.  'JD' did land the Marlin.  He was a happy fisherman. I was alive and sad to say the Marlin had met his match.  I vowed then and there to never, never go fishing for a Marlin again in my entire lifetime. And, I have kept that promise.  'JD' was proud of his trophy.  I mourned the Marlin's demise.

No comments: