Monday, September 6, 2010

Impudent Child

When I first heard the word 'impudent' I was sitting in the front row desk chair in the 5th grade classroom.  It was Valentine's Day and we had just counted the number of valentine's each person in the classroom had received.  This special day had always been one to look forward to.  The 'valentine box' had been brightly decorated with cut out hearts of pink and red, a good size cardboard box from a grocery store, and a slit in which to drop your various valentines was deftly cut by the teacher.

As soon as we arrived the morning of the big day, each of us stood in line to drop in our cards.  The teacher had given us a list of names of all the students in the classroom several days before, so even though we could pick and choose who we wanted to give a valentine, probably some of the kids were urged by their parents to be sure to have a card for everyone in the class including our teacher, Miss Gardner.

This was 1942 and all our teachers at Hamilton Elementary School were pretty old, except our Kindergarten teacher who was much younger and even pretty.  In fact when I was in Kindergarten, she had her wedding and my best friend, Lorene was selected to be her 'flower-girl.'  Of course I was happy for my friend, but wished ever so much that I too could've been chosen to be in Miss Lee's  wedding.  Because I wasn't chosen, maybe that's why I can never remember her married name.

So, back to my tale about the word 'impudent' which seems to have little to do with Valentine's Day, except that it was a crucial word for me at the time.  Finally, by mid-afternoon after we had some outdoor playtime going on the 'monkey bars' and the 'merry-go-round' that the boys made go faster and faster, we were each given a cupcake baked by Connie's mother and the teacher began passing out the Valentines with the help of two student volunteers.

It was very exciting to see who gave who a card and what was the message on the card.  It was also important to notice home-made cards compared to store-bought cards.  Generally the one's I gave were home-made ones that mother and I had such fun cutting, pasting and writing Valentine messages.  The biggest, prettiest card was of course put on the teacher's desk rather than in the box because it wouldn't fit through the slot.  I hoped, in my heart of hearts, that Wayne who sat in the back row really liked the card I gave him.

Once all the cards were distributed we were allowed to eat our cupcakes.  Then someone decided we should count our cards to see who got the most.  As soon as each kid finished counting he or she shouted out the number received.  I was still counting so was the last to announce my number.  I had a card from everyone in the class,  I jumped up and stupidly announced, "I got 30, the most cards!"

As you might have guessed, that's when Miss Gardner grabbed me by one arm, sat me back down in my seat and announced loud and clear, "Jean you are a very impudent child."

I could tell by the look on her face that the word 'impudent' was not a good one.  No one in the classroom said a word. Everyone was quiet and I looked straight ahead wishing I could fall through the floor at any minute.  Well, about that time the school bell rang letting us know it was time to go home.  I gathered up my 30 Valentines, put them in my lunchbox and left the room as fast as I could never looking back.

I practically ran the mile home, over dirt paths, past walnut and orange groves stopping only at Fifth Avenue to cross with the 'Crossing Guard' who slowed me down.  With just a block and a half to go I was home in minutes and anxious to ask mother the big question:  "What does 'impudent' mean?'  Mother said:  "It means 'without thought of the consequences,' why do you ask?"  "Oh, it's just a word I heard." was my reply.  "I made chocolate pudding while you were at school, do you want some?"  Funny how chocolate pudding can make everything alright once again, even for an impudent child.

No comments: