Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Business Dujour

Growing up, my idea of a successful future entailed owning a business.  Certainly my first jobs were as an employee and I was grateful to earn my own money.  I was brought up to give a job 100% effort in any case so that is what I did.  Right out of High School I applied for a secretary position with CACO, Inc. in Pomona. The young couple that owned the mold making business had two daughters, a 9 month old and a two year old, so they really wanted someone who would move into their home, be a part-time baby sitter and a part-time secretary.  My aspirations and their needs fit together like a hand and a glove.

I had learned secretary skills at school (in those days girls were generally trained to be secretaries and/or mothers) and I baby-sat around the neighborhood in addition to having helped care for my baby sister since I was six years old.  And their family included a German Shepherd 'Duke' who made the picture perfect, because I have always loved having furry friends in my life.  The magic of this partnership eventually gave my fiance 'JD' his opportunity to learn the mold making business, which served him well for the rest of his life.  This unique relationship between their family and mine has lasted a lifetime.
 
After 'JD' and I were married, he took on the idea that "man has the job and woman takes care of the house."  Well, that worked for about two months.  Then I had the opportunity to work for 'Dr  Z' the local Dentist who was willing to train me as his Dental Assistant.  I bought a white nurse uniform, white shoes and began my new profession.  This was a two person office so my secretarial skills were still needed and I was a happy camper.  That lasted until I found out I was pregnant.  I took on the idea that "pregnant women should be at home sewing baby clothes and preparing her nest."  'Dr Z' tried to convince me that many women work and have babies, but that idea wasn't congruent with my decision.  I had chosen names for the children in my future while I was just a school girl and now I was on cloud nine.        

I did stay home over the next five years, however I began doing crafts of my own design and wholesaling to local gift shops.  I also began helping neighbors decorate their homes, because they seemed to like my ideas.  So you see, I was always busy thinking of how to make money under any circumstances.  Probably partly due to the fact even my mother had started her own American Flag factory.  Being in a wheelchair herself, she hired other women who had been victims of Polio  The way this all took place is a story in itself.  And, the bottom line was that I was a child born during The Great Depression.  Big impression on me, as I still save string for instance.  Go figure. 
Beaux and Belles

You might have guessed, that as soon as both children were in school, I talked a neighbor of mine into a partnership in the opening of  Beaux and Belles, Bridal & Boutique, in Claremont, California.  This business evolved into two additional locations:  Oxnard and San Francisco. 

Today, the San Francisco boutique is still in operation, however, I sold it to my manager after my 16 successful years and she again sold to the present owner.  I often meet someone who has just recently bought their wedding gown from that San Francisco boutique.                 
Beaux and Belles - Showroom
Before selling the bridal businesses, 'JD' and I had decided to go our different ways after 21 years of marriage (not necessarily blissful, but workable) and we remained friends throughout.  Since I was totally financially independent, it was a clean-cut break that served our family well over the following years.  No regrets on either side

For the following four years as a 'bachelorette' I tried my wings and discovered the wide, wide world of travel and new business adventures.  There would be a whole new beginning,  There is much more to be told, so hang in there.  Life can be a bowl of cherries, just remember to spit out the pits.

No comments: